Tullaghoge Project

Tulach Óg or in English - Tullaghoge

is a Rath or Fort situated just north of Tullaghoge village in the county of Tyrone, and has a history stretching back over at lest fifteen centuries, it was said to have been a pagan sanctuary dedicated to the cult of the sacred trees.

The Rath is at an altitude of three hundred feet. It consists of two circular banks, both now covered with trees.

There is evideence of an ancient causeway leading to the entrance and it seems that there was once a guardhouse on the causeway and that a narrow ditch was dug outside it, across the entrance.

For a good few hundred years before 1602 the rath was the inauguration place of the O'Neills of Tír Eoghain.

Many 16th and 17th century English maps of Ulster show the area and are specially  interested in marking either Tullaghoge or the coronation chair or both.

Originally  Tullaghoge was a minor kingdom called "Telach Óc", occupied in St Patrick's time by the Uí Thuírtrí, who later moved to the eastern side of the bann.

The Kings of Airghialla were once inaugurated here ( on Leac na Rí but without the chair ) but between 900 and 1000 A.D. the Cineál Eoghain branch of the dynasty of Aileach spread south and east from Inis Eoghain in Donegal through the present counties of Derry, Tyrone, Armagh and Fermanagh and established Tulach Óg as the centre of their power.

On January 2014 a team of archeologists from Queens University led by Brian Sloan started a dig at the ancient hill of Tullaghoge the crowning place of the O'Neill clan  

Representatives from the Ancient Clan O’Neill of Tyrone were invited to visit the site, which is currently undergoing excavation by archeologists from Queen’s University.